2021 Nucs + Beekeeping Class - Manzanola, CO Pickup
NEW IN 2021!
We are offering two different pickup locations in Colorado this year! This pickup will be at our property in Manzanola, Colorado. This pickup INCLUDES a beginner beekeeping class that will take place at 8:00 am on the morning of the nuc pickup. More information about the beekeeping class is below. If you do not wish to take part in this beginner class, please select the Manzanola, CO pickup option without the class on the "Nucleus Colonies - Colorado" shop page.
Welcome to the wonderful world of beekeeping!
We are proud to offer our 5-frame nucs directly to our customers - no middle man involved! When you purchase a nuc from us, you will have the opportunity to inspect your nuc upon pickup as well as meet the beekeepers that made this nuc for you!
Our nucs will consist of:
- 2-3 frames of brood
- 1 frame of honey
- 1 frame of foundation for the bees to grow into
- Our bees are Minnesota Hygienic based with a queen bee* that is less than 2 months old
- *The queen bee will be Minnesota Hygienic*
- We are using a plastic nuc box design that will create a much better value to you as the consumer and will be reusable for years to come
- Check out the Pro Nuc box here!
We winter our bees in Texas each year to avoid the unpredictable winters in Colorado. We make nucs while we are in Texas during the Spring. Then in May we bring the bees back to Colorado for the Summer!
Beekeeping Class Details: This class is aimed at beginner beekeepers who would like to learn more about what to expect in their first year of beekeeping. We will cover topics such as installing your nuc when you get home, feeding your nuc, doing hive inspections, treating for mites, and more. The class will last for about 30-45 minutes and we will be available for questions afterwards.
Pickup Location: Manzanola, Colorado. (About 1 1/2 hours from Colorado Springs). Exact location and time will be sent in your pickup packet.
Pickup Time: The beginner beekeeping class will start promptly at 8:00 am and nuc pickup will follow directly after the class.
Pickup Date: Sunday, May 16, 2021
PLEASE NOTE: Nuc orders will not be refundable after April 1, 2021.
Note: Price INCLUDES applicable taxes
Information About our Bees:
- Mite Treatment
- The nucs are tested for mites and will be below treatment threshold (which is 3 mites per 100 bees) when the nuc is picked up
- We suggest only treating for mites with approved over-the-counter mite treatments when the colony reaches treatment threshold
- Queen Bee
- The queen bee in your nuc was born this year and is standing on her brood
- We do not mark the queen bee because we have noticed more chewing of the queen when she is marked
- We do not sell queen bees individually at this time. We purchase our queen bees from Bordelon Apiaries
- Feeding the Bees
- We suggest feeding your nuc as often as you can until the nuc is working every frame in the bottom box
- We suggest doing a 2:1 sugar-to-water ratio for the feed
- Adding a Super
- We suggest adding the second box once the bees are working every frame in the bottom box
When you purchase a nuc from Lockhart Honey Farms®, you are buying your bees directly from the beekeeper. We only have a limited number of nucs available, so be sure to purchase yours before they're gone!